- The neuroscience of mindfulness meditation.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2015; 16: 213-225
- Reconstructing and deconstructing the self: cognitive mechanisms in meditation practice.Trends Cogn Sci. 2015; 19: 515-523
- The psychological effects of meditation: A meta-analysis.Psychol Bull. 2012; 138: 1139-1171
Kabat-Zinn J (1990): Full catastrophe living : using the wisdom of your body and mind to face stress, pain, and illness. New York, NY: Random House Publishing Group.
- Mindfulness Training as a Clinical Intervention: A Conceptual and Empirical Review.Clin Psychol Sci Pract. 2006; 10: 125-143
- Mind-body practices for posttraumatic stress disorder.J Investig Med. 2013; 61: 827-834
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Among Veterans.JAMA. 2015; 314: 456-465
- Meditation programs for veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder: Aggregate findings from a multi-site evaluation.Psychol Trauma. 2016; 8: 365-374
- Is meditation associated with altered brain structure? A systematic review and meta-analysis of morphometric neuroimaging in meditation practitioners.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2014; 43: 48-73
- Meditation states and traits: EEG, ERP, and neuroimaging studies.Psychol Bull. 2006; 132: 180-211
- A systematic review of the neurophysiology of mindfulness on EEG oscillations.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2015; 57: 401-410
- Interoception and emotion.Curr Opin Psychol. 2017; 17: 7-14
- Interoception and Mental Health: A Roadmap.Biol psychiatry Cogn Neurosci neuroimaging. 2018; 3: 501-513
- Mindfulness meditation training alters cortical representations of interoceptive attention.Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2013; 8: 15-26
- Interoception, contemplative practice, and health.Front Psychol. 2015; 6: 763
- Mindfulness, Interoception, and the Body: A Contemporary Perspective.Front Psychol. 2019; 10: 2012
- Methodological considerations for the neurophenomenology of dreaming: commentary on Windt’s "Reporting dream experience.Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 8: 317
- Interoception, homeostatic emotions and sympathovagal balance.Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016; (371)https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2016.0010
- Follow your breath: respiratory interoceptive accuracy in experienced meditators.Psychophysiology. 2013; 50: 777-789
- Event-related brain potentials and the processing of cardiac activity.Biol Psychol. 1996; 42: 75-85
- Heartbeat evoked potentials (HEP): topography and influence of cardiac awareness and focus of attention.Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1993; 88: 163-172
- Focus of attention modulates the heartbeat evoked potential.Neuroimage. 2019; 186: 595-606
- Sad faces increase the heartbeat-associated interoceptive information flow within the salience network: a MEG study.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 430
- Aroused with heart: Modulation of heartbeat evoked potential by arousal induction and its oscillatory correlates.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 15717
- Affective interoceptive inference: Evidence from heart-beat evoked brain potentials.Hum Brain Mapp. 2019; 40: 20-33
Babo-Rebelo M, Richter CG, Tallon-Baudry C (2016): Neural Responses to Heartbeats in the Default Network Encode the Self in Spontaneous Thoughts. J Neurosci. 36. Retrieved August 27, 2017, from http://www.jneurosci.org/content/36/30/7829.
- Transient Modulations of Neural Responses to Heartbeats Covary with Bodily Self-Consciousness.J Neurosci. 2016; 36: 8453-8460
Coll MP, Hobson H, Bird G, Murphy J (2021, March 1): Systematic review and meta-analysis of the relationship between the heartbeat-evoked potential and interoception. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 122.
- Neural Sources and Underlying Mechanisms of Neural Responses to Heartbeats, and their Role in Bodily Self-consciousness: An Intracranial EEG Study.Cereb Cortex. 2018; 28: 2351-2364
- The Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Checklist for DSM-5 (PCL-5): Development and Initial Psychometric Evaluation.J Trauma Stress. 2015; 28: 489-498
- Psychometric properties of nine scoring rules for the clinician- administered posttraumatic stress disorder scale.Psychol Assess. 1999; 11: 124-133
- A randomized clinical trial of group cognitive processing therapy compared with group present-centered therapy for PTSD among active duty military personnel.J Consult Clin Psychol. 2015; 83: 1058-1068
- The evidence for present-centered therapy as a treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder.J Trauma Stress. 2014; 27: 1-8
- High-quality recording of bioelectric events.Med Biol Eng Comput. 1990; 28: 389-397
Berger H (1969): On the electroencephalogram of man. Second report. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. Suppl 28:75+.
- Spatiotemporal oscillatory dynamics of visual selective attention during a flanker task.Neuroimage. 2017; 156: 277-285
Cohen L, Leon (1995): Time-frequency analysis. Englewood Cliffs, NJ.: Prentice Hall PTR.
- Circular analysis in systems neuroscience: the dangers of double dipping.Nat Neurosci. 2009; 12: 535-540
- Estimation of the Box Correction for Degrees of Freedom from Sample Data in Randomized Block and Split-Plot Designs.J Educ Stat. 1976; 1: 69-82
- Nonparametric statistical testing of EEG- and MEG-data.J Neurosci Methods. 2007; 164: 177-190
McArdle JJ, Hamagami F (2001): Latent difference score structural models for linear dynamic analyses with incomplete longitudinal data. New methods Anal Chang, Decade of behavior. Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association, pp 139–175.
McArdle JJ, Nesselroade JR (1994): Using multivariate data to structure developmental change. Life-span Dev Psychol Methodol Contrib, The West Virginia University conferences on life-span developmental psychology. Hillsdale, NJ, US: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc, pp 223–267.
- A Comparison of Methods for Estimating Relationships in the Change Between Two Time Points for Latent Variables.Educ Psychol Meas. 2018; 78: 232-252
Muthén LK, Muthén BO (n.d.): Mplus User’s Guide, Eighth Edi. Los Angeles, CA: Muthén & Muthén.
- Heart cycle-related effects on event-related potentials, spectral power changes, and connectivity patterns in the human ECoG.Neuroimage. 2013; 81: 178-190
- Neural correlates of heart-focused interoception: a functional magnetic resonance imaging meta-analysis.Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016; (371)https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2016.0018
- The impact of mindfulness-based interventions on brain activity: A systematic review of functional magnetic resonance imaging studies.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2018; 84: 424-433
Wang X, Wu Q, Egan L, Gu X, Liu P, Gu H, et al. (2019): Anterior insular cortex plays a critical role in interoceptive attention. Elife. 8. doi: 10.7554/eLife.42265.
Kim J, Jeong B (2019): Heartbeat induces a cortical theta-synchronized network in the resting state. eNeuro. 6. doi: 10.1523/ENEURO.0200-19.2019.
- Frontal theta as a mechanism for cognitive control.Trends Cogn Sci. 2014; 18: 414-421
Neru A, Assisi C (2021): Theta oscillations gate the transmission of reliable sequences in the medial entorhinal cortex. eneuro. ENEURO.0059–20.2021.
- Theta power as a marker for cognitive interference.Clin Neurophysiol. 2011; 122: 2185-2194
- Frontal Theta Dynamics during Response Conflict in Long-Term Mindfulness Meditators.Front Hum Neurosci. 2017; 11: 299
- Greater efficiency in attentional processing related to mindfulness meditation.Q J Exp Psychol (Hove). 2010; 63: 1168-1180
- Meditation and attention: A controlled study on long-term meditators in behavioral performance and event-related potentials of attentional control.Int J Psychophysiol. 2016; 99: 33-39
Alderman BL, Olson RL, Brush CJ, Shors TJ (2016): MAP training: combining meditation and aerobic exercise reduces depression and rumination while enhancing synchronized brain activity. Transl Psychiatry 2016 62. 6: e726–e726.
- Modulation of induced frontocentral theta (Fm-θ) event-related (de-)synchronisation dynamics following mindfulness-based cognitive therapy in Major Depressive Disorder.Cogn Neurodyn. 2014; 8: 373
- Intention as a component of the alpha-rhythm response to mental activity.Int J Psychophysiol. 1996; 24: 7-23
- Mindfulness starts with the body: somatosensory attention and top-down modulation of cortical alpha rhythms in mindfulness meditation.Front Hum Neurosci. 2013; 7: 12
- Increased Theta and Alpha EEG Activity During Nondirective Meditation.J Altern Complement Med. 2009; 15: 1187-1192
- Activation of the anterior prefrontal cortex and serotonergic system is associated with improvements in mood and EEG changes induced by Zen meditation practice in novices.Int J Psychophysiol. 2011; 80: 103-111
Milz P, Faber PL, Lehmann D, Kochi K, Pascual-Marqui RD (2014): sLORETA intracortical lagged coherence during breath counting in meditation-naïve participants. Front Hum Neurosci. 8: 303.
- AN ELECTROENCEPHALOGRAPHIC STUDY ON THE ZEN MEDITATION (ZAZEN).Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 1966; 20: 315-336
Kazdin AE (2007, March 23): Mediators and mechanisms of change in psychotherapy research. Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 3.
Gaynor ST (2017, January 1): Temporal Precedence in the Identification of Mediators of Change: A Brief Comment on “mediators of Change in the Child/Adolescent Multimodal Treatment Study” (Kendall et al., 2016). J Consult Clin Psychol. 85.
- Neural correlates of reexperiencing, avoidance, and dissociation in PTSD: symptom dimensions and emotion dysregulation in responses to script-driven trauma imagery.J Trauma Stress. 2007; 20: 713-725
- Autonomic and inflammatory consequences of posttraumatic stress disorder and the link to cardiovascular disease.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2015; 309: R315-R321
- Autonomic and Respiratory Characteristics of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Panic Disorder.Psychosom Med. 2007; 69: 935-943
- Brain circuit dysfunction in post-traumatic stress disorder: from mouse to man.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2018; 19: 535-551
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: the neurobiological impact of psychological trauma.Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2011; 13: 263-278
- Maladaptive autonomic regulation in PTSD accelerates physiological aging.Front Psychol. 2014; 5: 1571
- Central and autonomic nervous system interaction is altered by short-term meditation.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106: 8865-8870
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
TRIAL REGISTRATION: clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT01548742