Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging
2020): Global Trends Forced Displacement in 2020. In: Refugees UNHCo, editor. Flagship Reports. The UN Refugee Agency: United Nations.
2021): Internally Displaced People. In: Refugees UNHCo, editor. Online: The United Nations Refugee Agency.
2021): Refugees. In: Refugees UNHCo, editor. Online: The United Nations Refugee Agency.
2021): Refugees, Asylum-Seekers, and Migrants. In: International A, editor. Online: Amnesty International.
- Social Determinants of Mental Health Among Karen Refugees from Burma.Community Mental Health Journal. 2021;
- Beyond Trauma: Post-resettlement Factors and Mental Health Outcomes Among Latino and Asian Refugees in the United States.Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 2016; 18: 740-748
- The culture, mental health and psychosocial wellbeing of Rohingya refugees: a systematic review.Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2019; 28: 489-494
- Post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, and anxiety in adult Syrian refugees: What do we know?.Scand J Public Health. 2020; 48: 677-687
- The prevalence and risk factors for mental distress among Syrian refugees in Germany: a register-based follow-up study.BMC Psychiatry. 2020; 20: 362
- Prevalence of Possible Mental Disorders in Syrian Refugees Resettling in the United States Screened at Primary Care.J Immigr Minor Health. 2019; 21: 664-667
- Daily stressors, trauma exposure, and mental health among stateless Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh.Transcult Psychiatry. 2017; 54: 304-331
- [Depression, anxiety and posttraumatic stress disorders in labor migrants, asylum seekers and refugees. A systematic overview].Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol. 2008; 58: 109-122
- Recent Iraqi refugees: Association between ethnic identification and psychological distress.Journal of Muslim Mental Health. 2018; 12
- Conflict and mental health: a cross-sectional epidemiological study in Nepal.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2013; 48: 183-193
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms Resulting from Torture and Other Traumatic Events among Syrian Kurdish Refugees in Kurdistan Region, Iraq.Front Psychol. 2017; 8: 241
- Mental Health of Refugees and Torture Survivors: A Critical Review of Prevalence, Predictors, and Integrated Care.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019; 16
- Mental health of Kosovan Albanian refugees in the UK.British Journal of Psychiatry. 2003; 182: 444-448
- The Relationship Between Spirituality and Post-Traumatic Stress Symptoms in Syrian Adolescents in Jordan.Journal of Child & Adolescent Trauma. 2021;
- Trauma-Related Psychopathology in Iraqi Refugee Youth Resettled in the United States, and Comparison With an Ethnically Similar Refugee Sample: A Cross-Sectional Study.Front Psychol. 2021; 12 (574368)
- Mental Health in syrian refugee children resettling in the United States: war trauma, migration, and the role of parental stress.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2018; 57 (e202): 209-211
- Psychological torture: Characteristics and impact on mental health.International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2021; 67: 500-506
Pérez-Sales P (2017): Psychological torture: Definition, evaluation and measurement. New York, NY, US: Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group.
- Mental health interventions and priorities for research for adult survivors of torture and systematic violence: a review of the literature.Torture. 2016; 26: 17-44
Liddell BJ, Bryant RA (2018): A Neurobiological Perspective of Mental Health Following Torture Trauma. In: Morina N, Nickerson A, editors. Mental Health of Refugee and Conflict-Affected Populations: Theory, Research and Clinical Practice. Cham: Springer International Publishing, pp 135-153.
Bronfenbrenner U (1979): The ecology of human development: Experiments by nature and design. Harvard university press.
- The neurobiology of PTSD.Eur J Psychotraumatol. 2017; 81314165
- A prospective examination of sex differences in posttraumatic autonomic functioning.Neurobiology of Stress. 2021; 15: 100384
- The effects of trauma on brain and body: A unifying role for the midbrain periaqueductal gray.J Neurosci Res. 2019; 97: 1110-1140
- Resting state functional connectivity of the thalamus in North Korean refugees with and without posttraumatic stress disorder.Scientific reports. 2020; 10: 1-7
- Increased medial prefrontal cortical thickness and resilience to traumatic experiences in North Korean refugees.Scientific Reports. 2021; 11: 14910
- Neural correlates of emotional reactivity and regulation in traumatized North Korean refugees.Translational Psychiatry. 2021; 11: 452
- Alexithymia and frontal–amygdala functional connectivity in North Korean refugees.Psychological medicine. 2020; 50: 334-341
- Human vulnerability to stress depends on amygdala's predisposition and hippocampal plasticity.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106: 14120-14125
- Predicting Treatment Outcome in PTSD: A Longitudinal Functional MRI Study on Trauma-Unrelated Emotional Processing.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2016; 41: 1156-1165
- A functional magnetic resonance imaging study of deliberate emotion regulation in resilience and posttraumatic stress disorder.Biol Psychiatry. 2009; 66: 656-664
- Focal and aberrant prefrontal engagement during emotion regulation in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder.Depress Anxiety. 2014; 31: 851-861
- Emotional suppression in torture survivors: Relationship to posttraumatic stress symptoms and trauma-related negative affect.Psychiatry Res. 2016; 242: 233-239
- Structural alterations in lateral prefrontal, parietal and posterior midline regions of men with chronic posttraumatic stress disorder.J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2011; 36: 176-186
- Neural Correlates of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms, Trauma Exposure, and Postmigration Stress in Response to Fear Faces in Resettled Refugees.Clinical Psychological Science. 2019; 7: 811-825
- The polyvagal perspective.Biological psychology. 2007; 74: 116-143
Grasser LR, Javanbakht A Virtual Arts and Movement Therapies for Youth in the Era of COVID-19. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.S0890-8567 (0821) 00425-00421.
- Interventions for children affected by war: an ecological perspective on psychosocial support and mental health care.Harvard review of psychiatry. 2013; 21: 70
- Activating the attachment system modulates neural responses to threat in refugees with PTSD.Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. 2021;
- Mechanisms of efficacy of CBT for Cambodian refugees with PTSD: improvement in emotion regulation and orthostatic blood pressure response.CNS Neurosci Ther. 2009; 15: 255-263
- Associations of neural processing of reward with posttraumatic stress disorder and secondary psychotic symptoms in trauma-affected refugees.European Journal of Psychotraumatology. 2020; 11: 1730091
- Reward Processing and Circuit Dysregulation in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.Frontiers in psychiatry. 2021; 12 (559401-559401)
- A unifying translational framework to advance treatment research for comorbid PTSD and substance use disorders.Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews. 2021; 127: 779-794
- Biomarkers of PTSD: Neuropeptides and immune signaling.Neuropharmacology. 2012; 62: 663-673
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Cardiometabolic Disease.Cardiology. 2014; 127: 1-19
- A short review on the psychoneuroimmunology of posttraumatic stress disorder: from risk factors to medical comorbidities.Brain Behav Immun. 2011; 25: 6-13
- Inflamed moods: a review of the interactions between inflammation and mood disorders.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2014; 53: 23-34
- Evidence for low-grade systemic proinflammatory activity in patients with posttraumatic stress disorder.J Psychiatr Res. 2007; 41: 744-752
- Saliva as a non-invasive diagnostic tool for inflammation and insulin-resistance.World J Diabetes. 2014; 5: 730-738
- Detection of inflammatory biomarkers in saliva and urine: Potential in diagnosis, prevention, and treatment for chronic diseases.Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2016; 241: 783-799
- Neurocysticercosis among resettled refugees from Burma.Journal of travel medicine. 2012; 19: 118-121
- Oral health of newly arrived refugees.The 132nd Annual Meeting. 2004;
- Medical image. An unusual case of granulomatous inflammation of the rectum.The New Zealand Medical Journal (Online). 2013; 126
Valles KA, Prasai K, Inzunza A, Roberts LR (2019): CONFLICT, REFUGEES, AND THE EVOLVING HEPATITIS C BURDEN: HUMAN MIGRATION AND SHIFTING DISEASE LANDSCAPES. HEPATOLOGY: WILEY 111 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN 07030-5774, NJ USA, pp 343A-344A.
- Conditions in Palestine during the War and Medical Relief among the Civil Population and the Refugees.The Boston Medical and Surgical Journal. 1921; 184: 93-98
- A survey of the gingival health of Indo‐Chinese child refugees. Part I.Australian dental journal. 1988; 33: 37-42
- Understanding the pathology of psychiatric disorders in refugees.Psychiatry Research. 2021; 296: 113661
- Inflammatory markers in post-traumatic stress disorder: a systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression.Lancet Psychiatry. 2015; 2: 1002-1012
- Association of trauma exposure with proinflammatory activity: a transdiagnostic meta-analysis.Transl Psychiatry. 2014; 4: e413
- Diagnostic biomarkers for posttraumatic stress disorder: promising horizons from translational neuroscience research.Biological psychiatry. 2015; 78: 344-353
- Inflammation in Fear- and Anxiety-Based Disorders: PTSD, GAD, and Beyond.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017; 42: 254-270
- IL-10: A possible immunobiological component of positive mental health in refugees.Comprehensive Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2021; 8: 100097
- Inflammation and trauma-related psychopathology in Syrian and Iraqi refugees.Behavioral Sciences. 2020; 10: 75
- Posttraumatic Stress, Inflammation, and Somatic Symptoms: Unifying Psychiatry and Physiology of Traumatic Stress in a Longitudinal Study of Syrian Refugees.Biological Psychiatry. 2021; 89: S338
- Mental Health and PTSD in Female North Korean Refugees.Health Care for Women International. 2015; 36: 409-423
- The Development of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Depression Symptoms in Iraqi Refugees: Associations with Acculturation and C-reactive Protein.The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease. 2021; : 209
- The inflammatory markers C-reactive protein and serum amyloid A in refugees with and without posttraumatic stress disorder.Clin Chim Acta. 2004; 342: 93-98
- The Missing Diversity in Human Genetic Studies.Cell. 2019; 177: 26-31
- Conditioned fear as revealed by magnitude of startle response to an auditory stimulus.J Exp Psychol. 1951; 41: 317-328
- Safety learning during development: Implications for development of psychopathology.Behavioural Brain Research. 2021; 408: 113297
- Impaired fear inhibition is a biomarker of PTSD but not depression.Depress Anxiety. 2010; 27: 244-251
- Development of fear acquisition and extinction in children: Effects of age and anxiety.Neurobiology of learning and memory. 2014; 113: 135-142
- Mobile assessment of heightened skin conductance in posttraumatic stress disorder.Depression and anxiety. 2017; 34: 502-507
- Increased Skin Conductance Response in the Immediate Aftermath of Trauma Predicts PTSD Risk.Chronic Stress. 2019; 3 (Thousand Oaks)2470547019844441
- The psychophysiology of posttraumatic stress disorder: a meta-analysis.Psychol Bull. 2007; 133: 725-746
- Analysis of heart rate variability in posttraumatic stress disorder patients in response to a trauma-related reminder.Biol Psychiatry. 1998; 44: 1054-1059
- Cardiac coherence and posttraumatic stress disorder in combat veterans.Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine. 2010; 16
- Measures of psychophysiological arousal among resettled traumatized Iraqi refugees seeking psychological treatment.Journal of traumatic stress. 2012; 25: 348-352
- A cross-cultural study of reactivation of posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms: American and Cambodian psychophysiological response to viewing traumatic video scenes.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1998; 186: 670-676
- Startle habituation, sensory, and sensorimotor gating in trauma-affected refugees with posttraumatic stress disorder.Psychological Medicine. 2019; 49: 581-589
- Evoked potential correlates of post-traumatic stress disorder in refugees with history of exposure to torture.J Psychiatr Res. 2013; 47: 1492-1498
- Psychophysiological responses to an executive task in refugees with chronic PTSD and comorbid depression.Nordic Psychology. 2017; 69: 177-194
- Hypocortisolism and increased glucocorticoid sensitivity of pro-Inflammatory cytokine production in Bosnian war refugees with posttraumatic stress disorder.Biological psychiatry. 2004; 55: 745-751
- Grand challenges in global mental health.Nature. 2011; 475: 27-30
- The weirdest people in the world?.Behav Brain Sci. 2010; 33 (discussion 83-135): 61-83
- Changing cultures, changing brains: A framework for integrating cultural neuroscience and cultural change research.Biol Psychol. 2021; 162: 108087
- Children's recognition of emotion expressed by own-race versus other-race faces.J Exp Child Psychol. 2019; 182: 102-113
- Perceiving an object and its context in different cultures: a cultural look at new look.Psychol Sci. 2003; 14: 201-206
- How pain empathy depends on ingroup/outgroup decisions: A functional magnet resonance imaging study.Psychiatry Res. 2015; 234: 57-65
- Population disparities in mental health: insights from cultural neuroscience.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: S122-132
- Neural basis of individualistic and collectivistic views of self.Hum Brain Mapp. 2009; 30: 2813-2820
- Amygdala activation during recognition of emotions in a foreign ethnic group is associated with duration of stay.Social Neuroscience. 2009; 4: 294-307
Javanbakht A, Tompson S, Kitayama S, King A, Yoon C, Liberzon I (2018): Gene by Culture Effects on Emotional Processing of Social Cues among East Asians and European Americans. Behav Sci (Basel). 8.
- Cultural influences on neural basis of intergroup empathy.Neuroimage. 2011; 57: 642-650
- Genomic Approaches to Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: The Psychiatric Genomic Consortium Initiative.Biol Psychiatry. 2018; 83: 831-839
- Genetic structure of human populations.Science. 2002; 298: 2381-2385
- Challenges to providing quality mental health services for forcibly displaced populations: The case of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh.Asian American Journal of Psychology. 2021; 12: 234
- Displacement in urban areas: new challenges, new partnerships.Disasters. 2012; 36: S23-S42
- Family focused care for refugees and displaced populations: Global opportunities for family therapists.Journal of marital and family therapy. 2018; 44: 193-205
- Understanding the challenge.Forced Migration Review. 2009; 9
- Documenting the Impact of Conflict on Women Living in Internally Displaced Persons Camps in Sri Lanka: Some Ethical Considerations.Health Hum Rights. 2019; 21: 93-101
- Ethical Concerns With Refugee Research.Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment. 2015; 25: 714-722
Buchanan NT, Perez M, Prinstein M, Thurston I (2020): Upending Racism in Psychological Science: Strategies to Change How Our Science is Conducted, Reported, Reviewed & Disseminated.
Asgary A (2018): Resettlement challenges for displaced populations and refugees. Springer.
- Benefits and challenges of using a participatory approach with community-based mental health and psychosocial support interventions in displaced populations.Transcultural Psychiatry. 2021; 58: 283-292
- Estimating the economic burden of racial health inequalities in the United States.International Journal of Health Services. 2011; 41: 231-238
LaVeist TA, Gaskin DJ, Richard P (2009): The economic burden of health inequalities in the United States.
- Acculturation and adaptation in a new society.International migration. 1992; 30 (69-69)
- Stigma associated with PTSD: perceptions of treatment seeking combat veterans.Psychiatric rehabilitation journal. 2013; 36: 86
Campbell C, Deacon H (2006): Unravelling the contexts of stigma: from internalisation to resistance to change. Wiley Online Library, pp 411-417.
- What is the impact of mental health-related stigma on help-seeking? A systematic review of quantitative and qualitative studies.Psychological medicine. 2015; 45: 11-27
- Stigma towards people with mental illness in developing countries in Asia.International review of psychiatry. 2007; 19: 157-178
- The stigma of mental illness in Asian cultures.Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 1997; 31: 382-390
- "A disease like any other"? A decade of change in public reactions to schizophrenia, depression, and alcohol dependence.Am J Psychiatry. 2010; 167: 1321-1330
- Evidence for effective interventions to reduce mental-health-related stigma and discrimination.The Lancet. 2016; 387: 1123-1132
- What are biomarkers?.Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2010; 5: 463-466
- Current status on behavioral and biological markers of PTSD: a search for clarity in a conflicting literature.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2013; 37: 860-895
- Using neurobiological measures to predict and assess treatment outcome of psychotherapy in posttraumatic stress disorder: systematic review.Psychother Psychosom. 2013; 82: 142-151
- Medical best practices for the treatment of torture survivors.Torture. 2011; 21: 8-17
- Pharmacogenomics: the genetics of variable drug responses.Circulation. 2011; 123: 1661-1670
- Pharmacogenetics of antidepressant response.Journal of psychiatry & neuroscience : JPN. 2011; 36: 87-113
Ng CH, Klimidis S (2008): Cultural factors and the use of psychotropic medications. Ethno-psychopharmacology: Advances in current practice: Cambridge University Press, pp 123-134.
Price JH, Kovar R (2013): Adherence Barriers to Antidepressants among an Urban Female Latino Population. EthnoMed.
- Most people are not WEIRD.Nature. 2010; 466 (29-29)
Jones D (2010): A WEIRD view of human nature skews psychologists' studies. American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Biological and Environmental Factors Affecting Risk and Resilience among Syrian Refugee Children.J Psychiatr Brain Sci. 2021; 6
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
The authors report no biomedical financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.