Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging
- Unequal Gain of Equal Resources across Racial Groups.Int J Health Policy Manag. 2018; 7: 1-9
- Neurobiological consequences of racial disparities and environmental risks: a critical gap in understanding psychiatric disorders.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2020; 45: 1247-1250
- Choosing appropriate language to reduce the stigma around mental illness and substance use disorders.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2021;
- Conceptualizing Stigma.Annual Review of Sociology. 2001; 27: 363-385
Hatzenbuehler ML, Weissman DG, McKetta S, Lattanner MR, Ford JV, Barch DM, et al. (2021): Smaller Hippocampal Volume Among Black and Latinx Youth Living in High-Stigma Contexts. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry.
Clair M (2018): Stigma. Core concepts in sociology.
- The psychological implications of concealing a stigma: a cognitive-affective-behavioral model.Psychol Bull. 2007; 133: 328-345
- Promoting the "social" in the examination of social stigmas.Pers Soc Psychol Rev. 2005; 9: 156-182
Carmichael S, Ture K, Hamilton CV (1992): Black power: The politics of liberation in America. Vintage.
Grey MJ, Brinton S, Haldeman DC (2022): Review of US public policy, legislative, and judicial work on conversion efforts.
- Cultural Inertia: Framework of Change and Intergroup Relations.Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. 2022; 01461672221076209
- Racial Microaggressions: Critical Questions, State of the Science, and New Directions.Perspectives on Psychological Science. 2021; 16: 880-885
Crenshaw K (2018): Demarginalizing the intersection of race and sex: A Black feminist critique of antidiscrimination doctrine, feminist theory, and antiracist politics . Routledge.
- Measurement of Intersectional Microaggressions: Conceptual Barriers and Recommendations.Perspectives on Psychological Science. 2021; 16: 956-971
Wade P, Takezawa YI, Smedley A (2020): Race. Encyclopedia Brittanica. Online: Encyclopedia Brittanica.
Hartley L (2005): Physiognomy and the meaning of expression in nineteenth-century culture. Cambridge University Press.
- Facing faces: studies on the cognitive aspects of physiognomy.Journal of personality and social psychology. 2000; 78: 837
- The fine-scale genetic structure of the British population.Nature. 2015; 519: 309-314
- Deconstructing the relationship between genetics and race.Nat Rev Genet. 2004; 5: 598-609
- The public health critical race methodology: praxis for antiracism research.Social science & medicine. 2010; 71: 1390-1398
- Conceptualizing, Contextualizing, and Operationalizing Race in Quantitative Health Sciences Research.Ann Fam Med. 2022;
- The need for shared nomenclature on racism and related terminology in psychology.Perspectives on Psychological Science. 2021; 16: 886-892
- Levels of racism: a theoretic framework and a gardener's tale.American journal of public health. 2000; 90: 1212-1215
O’Reilly K (2020): AMA: Racism is a threat to public health. American Medical Association.
- Toward an Anti-Racist Approach to Biomedical and Neuroscience Research.The Journal of Neuroscience. 2021; 41: 8669-8672
- Weathering" and age patterns of allostatic load scores among blacks and whites in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 826-833
- Race, race-based discrimination, and health outcomes among African Americans.Annu Rev Psychol. 2007; 58: 201-225
Williams MT, Osman M, Gran-Ruaz S, Lopez J (2021): Intersection of Racism and PTSD: Assessment and Treatment of Racial Stress and Trauma. Current Treatment Options in Psychiatry.
- The black mask of humanity: Racial/ethnic discrimination and post-traumatic stress disorder.Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law Online. 2002; 30: 336-339
- Racism and psychological and emotional injury: Recognizing and assessing race-based traumatic stress.The Counseling Psychologist. 2007; 35: 13-105
- Healing requires recognition: The case for race-based traumatic stress.The Counseling Psychologist. 2007; 35: 135-143
- ACEs and counter-ACEs: How positive and negative childhood experiences influence adult health.Child Abuse Negl. 2019; 96104089
- Adverse Childhood Experiences, Outcomes, and Interventions.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2020; 67: 259-273
Zheng M (2021): Studying the Relationship Between Ethnic Identity and Resiliency: A Broad Approach.
- Racial Discrimination, Cultural Resilience, and Stress.Can J Psychiatry. 2016; 61: 298-307
- Promoting resilience among African American girls: Racial identity as a protective factor.Child development. 2018; 89: e552-e571
- Ethnic-racial identity and adolescents’ positive development in the context of ethnic-racial marginalization: Unpacking risk and resilience.Human Development. 2021; 65: 293-310
- Perceived discrimination and health: a meta-analytic review.Psychological bulletin. 2009; 135: 531-554
- Prevalence of Perceived Racism and Discrimination Among US Children Aged 10 and 11 Years: The Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study.JAMA Pediatrics. 2021; 175: 861-863
- Longitudinal Impact of Childhood Adversity on Early Adolescent Mental Health During the COVID-19 Pandemic in the ABCD Study Cohort: Does Race or Ethnicity Moderate Findings?.Biological Psychiatry Global Open Science. 2021; 1: 324-335
- Stigma and Minority Stress as Social Determinants of Health Among Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Youth: Research Evidence and Clinical Implications.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2016; 63: 985-997
- The Rohingya refugees: a conceptual framework of their psychosocial adversities, cultural idioms of distress and social suffering.Glob Ment Health (Camb). 2021; 8: e46
- Gender Stereotypes and Discrimination: How Sexism Impacts Development.Adv Child Dev Behav. 2016; 50: 105-133
- The neurobiology of stress and development.Annu Rev Psychol. 2007; 58: 145-173
- A mechanism converting psychosocial stress into mononuclear cell activation.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 1920-1925
- Inflammation in Fear- and Anxiety-Based Disorders: PTSD, GAD, and Beyond.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017; 42: 254-270
- Who is studied in de novo fear conditioning paradigms? An examination of demographic and stimulus characteristics predicting fear learning.International Journal of Psychophysiology. 2018; 130: 21-28
- Assessment of skin conductance in African American and Non–African American participants in studies of conditioned fear.Psychophysiology. 2017; 54: 1741-1754
- Developmental Timing of Trauma in Women Predicts Unique Extracellular Vesicle Proteome Signatures.Biological Psychiatry. 2022; 91: 273-282
- Association of Racial Discrimination With Neural Response to Threat in Black Women in the US Exposed to Trauma.JAMA Psychiatry. 2021; 78: 1005-1012
- The good, the bad, and the ugly: An fMRI investigation of the functional anatomic correlates of stigma.Social Neuroscience. 2006; 1: 5-15
Javanbakht A (2019): A Theory of Everything: Overlapping Neurobiological Mechanisms of Psychotherapies of Fear and Anxiety Related Disorders. Frontiers in behavioral neuroscience. 12:328-328.
- The limbic system: emotion, laterality, and unconscious mind.Psychoanalytic Review. 1992; 79: 405-456
- Brain circuit dysfunction in post-traumatic stress disorder: from mouse to man.Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 2018; 19: 535-551
- As soon as there was life, there was danger: the deep history of survival behaviours and the shallower history of consciousness.Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 2022; 37720210292
- Effects of childhood poverty and chronic stress on emotion regulatory brain function in adulthood.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110: 18442-18447
- Heightened neural reactivity to threat in child victims of family violence.Curr Biol. 2011; 21: R947-948
- Childhood poverty and stress reactivity are associated with aberrant functional connectivity in default mode network.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2014; 39: 2244-2251
- Pavlovian conditioned diminution of the neurobehavioral response to threat.Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2018; 84: 218-224
- Negative life experiences contribute to racial differences in the neural response to threat.Neuroimage. 2019; 202116086
Proctor BD, Semega JL, Kollar MA (2016): Income and poverty in the United States: 2015. US Census Bureau, Current Population Reports. 14.
- Racial and ethnic health disparities among fifth-graders in three cities.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 735-745
- Racial Disparities in Child Adversity in the U.S.: Interactions With Family Immigration History and Income.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: 47-56
- Racial residential segregation: a fundamental cause of racial disparities in health.Public Health Rep. 2001; 116: 404-416
- Individual, family background, and contextual explanations of racial and ethnic disparities in youths' exposure to violence.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 435-442
- The neuroscience of race.Nature neuroscience. 2012; 15: 940-948
- Culture Embrained: Going Beyond the Nature-Nurture Dichotomy.Perspect Psychol Sci. 2017; 12: 841-854
- Fear and Loving in Las Vegas: Evolution, Emotion, and Persuasion.J Mark Res. 2009; 46: 384-395
- Performance on indirect measures of race evaluation predicts amygdala activation.J Cogn Neurosci. 2000; 12: 729-738
- Separable neural components in the processing of black and white faces.Psychol Sci. 2004; 15: 806-813
Williams MT, Faber S, Nepton A, Ching THW (2022): Racial justice allyship requires civil courage: A behavioral prescription for moral growth and change. American Psychological Association, pp No Pagination Specified-No Pagination Specified.
- The ABCD study: understanding the development of risk for mental and physical health outcomes.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2021; 46: 131-142
- Corpus callosum in maltreated children with posttraumatic stress disorder: A diffusion tensor imaging study.Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging. 2008; 162: 256-261
- Poverty and Child Development: A Longitudinal Study of the Impact of the Earned Income Tax Credit.American Journal of Epidemiology. 2016; 183: 775-784
- The effects of social adversity, discrimination, and health risk behaviors on the accelerated aging of African Americans: Further support for the weathering hypothesis.Soc Sci Med. 2021; 282113169
- The effect of early discrimination on accelerated aging among African Americans.Health Psychol. 2019; 38: 1010-1013
- The Great Recession and health risks in African American youth.Brain Behav Immun. 2016; 53: 234-241
- Measuring the biological embedding of racial trauma among Black Americans utilizing the RDoC approach.Development and Psychopathology. 2021; 33: 1849-1863
- Prevalence and correlates of maladaptive guilt in middle childhood.Journal of Affective Disorders. 2020; 263: 64-71
- Demographic, psychological, behavioral, and cognitive correlates of BMI in youth: Findings from the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) study.Psychological Medicine. 2020; 50: 1539-1547
- Association of lead-exposure risk and family income with childhood brain outcomes.Nature Medicine. 2020; 26: 91-97
- Socioeconomic Disparities in Chronic Physiologic Stress Are Associated With Brain Structure in Children.Biological Psychiatry. 2019; 86: 921-929
Bale TL, Jovanovic T (2020): The critical importance in identifying the biological mechanisms underlying the effects of racism on mental health. Neuropsychopharmacology: Official Publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology.
- Reductions in 2020 US life expectancy due to COVID-19 and the disproportionate impact on the Black and Latino populations.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2021; 118e2014746118
- Racial Discrimination and White Matter Microstructure in Trauma-Exposed Black Women.Biological Psychiatry. 2022; 91: 254-261
- The weathering hypothesis and the health of African-American women and infants: evidence and speculations.Ethn Dis. 1992; 2: 207-221
- Perceived discrimination among African American adolescents and allostatic load: a longitudinal analysis with buffering effects.Child Dev. 2014; 85: 989-1002
- Resilience to adversity and the early origins of disease.Dev Psychopathol. 2016; 28: 1347-1365
- Variability in frontotemporal brain structure: the importance of recruitment of African Americans in neuroscience research.PLoS One. 2010; 5e13642
- Experiences of Discrimination Are Associated With Greater Resting Amygdala Activity and Functional Connectivity.Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2018; 3: 367-378
Webb EK, Bird CM, deRoon-Cassini TA, Weis CN, Huggins AA, Fitzgerald JM, et al. (2022): Racial Discrimination and Resting-State Functional Connectivity of Salience Network Nodes in Trauma-Exposed Black Adults in the United States. JAMA network open. 5:e2144759-e2144759.
- Call to Action: Structural Racism as a Fundamental Driver of Health Disparities: A Presidential Advisory From the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 142: e454-e468
- Experiences of discrimination are associated with greater resting amygdala activity and functional connectivity.Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging. 2018; 3: 367-378
- Longitudinal Effects of Racial Discrimination on Depressive Symptoms Among Black Youth: Between- and Within-Person Effects.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2022; 61: 56-65
- Racism and ambulatory blood pressure in a community sample.Psychosom Med. 2008; 70: 49-56
- Perceived discrimination and health: a meta-analytic review.Psychol Bull. 2009; 135: 531-554
- Anxiety mediates perceived discrimination and health in African-American women.American journal of health behavior. 2016; 40: 697-704
- Anxiety symptomatology and perceived health in African American adults: moderating role of emotion regulation.Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2014; 20: 307-315
- Discrimination from family and substance use for multiracial individuals.Addictive Behaviors. 2019; 92: 203-207
- Racial discrimination, depressive symptoms, and sleep problems among Blacks in the rural South.Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology. 2021; 27: 123-134
- Interpersonal Trauma and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder among Black Women: Does Racial Discrimination Matter?.Journal of Trauma & Dissociation. 2021; 22: 154-169
- The Neuroscience of Stigma and Stereotype Threat.Group Processes & Intergroup Relations. 2008; 11: 163-181
- The biology of fear- and anxiety-related behaviors.Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2002; 4: 231-249
Aldred EM, Buck C, Vall K (2009): Chapter 31 - The nervous system. In: Aldred EM, Buck C, Vall K, editors. Pharmacology. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, pp 235-246.
- Adrenergic regulation of innate immunity: a review.Front Pharmacol. 2015; 6: 171
- Arousal and stereotype threat.Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. 2005; 41: 174-181
- When the pressure is up: The assessment of social identity threat in low and high status groups.Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. 2005; 41: 192-200
- African Americans and high blood pressure: The role of stereotype threat.Psychological science. 2001; 12: 225-229
- Stereotype threat and arousal: Effects on women's math performance.Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. 2003; 29: 782-789
- Why do women underperform under stereotype threat? Evidence for the role of negative thinking.Psychological science. 2005; 16: 572-578
- Stereotype threat and performance: how self-stereotypes influence processing by inducing regulatory foci.Journal of personality and social psychology. 2004; 87: 38
- Perceived racism and suicide ideation: Mediating role of depression but moderating role of religiosity among African American adults.Suicide and Life‐Threatening Behavior. 2014; 44: 548-559
- African American emerging adults’ experiences with racial discrimination and drinking habits: The moderating roles of perceived stress.Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology. 2018; 24: 489-497
- Racial Discrimination is Associated with Acute Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms and Predicts Future Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptom Severity in Trauma‐Exposed Black Adults in the United States.Journal of Traumatic Stress. 2021;
- Parental Education and Youth Inhibitory Control in the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study: Blacks’ Diminished Returns.Brain Sciences. 2020; 10
- Reward Responsiveness in the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study: African Americans’ Diminished Returns of Parental Education.Brain Sciences. 2020; 10
- African Americans’ Diminished Returns of Parental Education on Adolescents’ Depression and Suicide in the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study.European Journal of Investigation in Health, Psychology and Education. 2020; 10
- Health Disparities due to Diminished Return among Black Americans: Public Policy Solutions.Social Issues and Policy Review. 2018; 12: 112-145
- Racial bias in pain assessment and treatment recommendations, and false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016; 113: 4296-4301
- Prior differences in previous trauma exposure primarily drive the observed racial/ethnic differences in posttrauma depression and anxiety following a recent trauma.Psychol Med. 2022; 1-10
- Baby’s First Years: Design of a Randomized Controlled Trial of Poverty Reduction in the United States.Pediatrics. 2021; 148
- The impact of a poverty reduction intervention on infant brain activity.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2022; 119e2115649119
- The Protective Effects of Supportive Parenting on the Relationship Between Adolescent Poverty and Resting-State Functional Brain Connectivity During Adulthood.Psychological science. 2019; 30: 1040-1049
Brody GH, Yu T, Chen E, Miller GE, Barton AW, Kogan SM (2021): Family-Centered Prevention Effects on the Association Between Racial Discrimination and Mental Health in Black Adolescents: Secondary Analysis of 2 Randomized Clinical Trials. JAMA Network Open. 4:e211964-e211964.
- Posttraumatic growth in low-income Black mothers who survived Hurricane Katrina.American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. 2019; 89: 144-158
- PTSD and self-rated health in urban traumatized African American adults: The mediating role of emotion regulation.Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy. 2020; 12: 84-91
- Emotion dysregulation and dissociation contribute to decreased heart rate variability to an acute psychosocial stressor in trauma-exposed Black women.Journal of Psychiatric Research. 2021; 142: 125-131
- Racial discrimination and posttraumatic stress: examining emotion dysregulation as a mediator in an African American community sample.European Journal of Psychotraumatology. 2020; 111824398
- The transition from childhood to adolescence is marked by a general decrease in amygdala reactivity and an affect-specific ventral-to-dorsal shift in medial prefrontal recruitment.Dev Cogn Neurosci. 2017; 25: 128-137
- Adaptation of the Difficulties in Emotion Regulation Scale: Reliability and Validity of an Italian Version.JOURNAL OF CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY. 2019; 68: 989-1007
- Measures of emotion regulation: Convergence and psychometric properties of the difficulties in emotion regulation scale and emotion regulation questionnaire.Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2021;
- Posttraumatic stress disorder symptom expression in racially and ethnically diverse women veterans.Psychiatry Research. 2022; 309114426
- Correlates of posttraumatic growth in adult sexual assault victims.Traumatology. 2014; 20: 219-224
- And Still I Rise: Resilience Factors Contributing to Posttraumatic Growth in African American Women.Journal of Black Psychology. 2020; 47: 151-176
- Preparing for racial microaggressions: The role of cognition and emotion in the proactive coping process of African American college students.New Ideas in Psychology. 2021; 63100897
- Resilience: Protective factors for depression and post traumatic stress disorder among African American women?.Health, Culture and Society. 2017; 9: 12-29
- The Critical Need to Diversify the Clinical and Academic Workforce.Academic Psychiatry. 2014; 38: 394-397
(2019): Physician Workforce Disparities and Patient Care: A Narrative Review. Health Equity. 3:360-377.
- Exploring Gender and Racial Disparity in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: A Step Toward Diversity.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2021; 60: 1329-1332
- Fund Black scientists.Cell. 2021; 184: 561-565
- Topic choice contributes to the lower rate of NIH awards to African-American/black scientists.Science Advances. 2019; 5eaaw7238
- Applying Anti-racism to Clinical Care and Research.JAMA Psychiatry. 2021; 78: 1187-1188
- The impact of racial microaggressions on mental health: Counseling implications for clients of color.Journal of Counseling & Development. 2014; 92: 57-66
- Health Equity Tourism: Ravaging the Justice Landscape.Journal of Medical Systems. 2022; 46: 17
Viswanathan M, Ammerman A, Eng E, Garlehner G, Lohr KN, Griffith D, et al. (2004): Community‐based participatory research: Assessing the evidence: Summary. AHRQ evidence report summaries.
Buchanan NT, Perez M, Prinstein M, Thurston I (2020): Upending Racism in Psychological Science: Strategies to Change How Our Science is Conducted, Reported, Reviewed & Disseminated.
- Why developmental researchers should care about biracial, multiracial, and multiethnic youth.Child Development Perspectives. 2020; 14: 21-27
- Relationship of Childhood Abuse and Household Dysfunction to Many of the Leading Causes of Death in Adults: The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study.American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 1998; 14: 245-258
- Household and community-level Adverse Childhood Experiences and adult health outcomes in a diverse urban population.Child Abuse & Neglect. 2016; 52: 135-145
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) among American Indians in South Dakota and Associations with Mental Health Conditions, Alcohol Use, and Smoking.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2017; 28: 1559-1577