Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging
- Biological embedding of chronic stress across two generations within marginalized communities.Child Dev Perspect. 2020; 14: 208-214
- Differential associations of distinct forms of childhood adversity with neurobehavioral measures of reward processing: A developmental pathway to depression.Child Dev. 2019; 90: e96-113
Crenshaw KW, Ritchie AJ, Anspach R, Gilmer R, Harris L. Say her name: Resisting police brutality against black women. 2015.
- Gender, black feminism, and black political economy.Ann Am Acad Pol Soc Sci. 2000; 568: 41-53
- Black In Neuro, Beyond One Week.J Neurosci. 2021; 41: 2314-2317
- Black feminist thought as methodology: Examining intergenerational lived experiences of Black women.Depart Crit Qual Res. 2016; 5: 55-76
- Listen to Black Women: Do Black Feminist and Womanist Health Policy Analyses.Womens Health Issues. 2021 Mar 1; 31: 91-95
- Reflections on the outsider within.J Career Dev. 1999; 26: 85-88
Crenshaw K. Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex: A Black Feminist Critique of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory and Antiracist Politics Crenshaw, [Internet]. Vol. 1989, University of Chicago Legal Forum. Available from: http://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/uclfhttp://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/uclf/vol1989/iss1/8
- The odd couple: using biomedical and intersectional approaches to address health inequities.Glob Health Action. 2017 Jan 1; 101326686
General US. Mental health: Culture, race, and ethnicity. Suppl Ment Health Rep Surg Gen Rockv MD US Dep Health Hum Serv. 2001;
- Relationships between allostatic load, unhealthy behaviors, and depressive disorder in U.S. adults, 2005–2012 NHANES.Prev Med. 2018; 110: 9-15
- Prevalence of mental illness in immigrant and non-immigrant US Latino groups.Am J Psychiatry. 2008; 165: 359-369
- Lifetime risk and persistence of psychiatric disorders across ethnic groups in the United States.Psychol Med. 2005; 35: 317-327
- Specifying race-ethnic differences in risk for psychiatric disorder in a USA national sample.Psychol Med. 2006; 36: 57-68
Abuse S, Administration MHS. 2015 National survey on drug use and health. 2016.
- Racial and ethnic differences in depression: current perspectives.Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2019 Feb 22; 15: 603-609
- Beyond misdiagnosis, misunderstanding and mistrust: relevance of the historical perspective in the medical and mental health treatment of people of color.J Natl Med Assoc. 2007; 99: 879
- Misdiagnosis of African-Americans with psychiatric issues–part II.J Natl Med Assoc. 2015; 107: 35-41
Brody DJ, Pratt LA, Hughes JP. Prevalence of depression among adults aged 20 and over: United States, 2013-2016. 2018.
- The changing characteristics of African-American adolescent suicides, 2001–2017.J Community Health. 2019; 44: 756-763
Hooks B. Sisters of the yam: Black women and self-recovery. 2014.
- Brain on stress: how the social environment gets under the skin.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2012; 109: 17180-17185
- Leveraging the biology of adversity to address the roots of disparities in health and development.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2012; 109: 17302-17307
- Neighborhood poverty predicts altered neural and behavioral response inhibition.NeuroImage. 2020; 209116536
- Testing the biological embedding hypothesis: Is early life adversity associated with a later proinflammatory phenotype?.Dev Psychopathol. 2016; 28: 1273-1283
- Synaptic plasticity and depression: new insights from stress and rapid-acting antidepressants.Nat Med. 2016; 22: 238-249
- Mechanisms of stress in the brain.Nat Neurosci. 2015; 18: 1353-1363
- Chronic stress, cognitive functioning and mental health.Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2011; 96: 583-595
- Sex, stress and the hippocampus: allostasis, allostatic load and the aging process.Neurobiol Aging. 2002; 23: 921-939
- Stress, adaptation, and disease: Allostasis and allostatic load.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1998; 840: 33-44
- Stress and the individual: Mechanisms leading to disease.Arch Intern Med. 1993; 153: 2093-2101
- Family Life Project Key Investigators. Allostasis and allostatic load in the context of poverty in early childhood.Dev Psychopathol. 2011; 23: 845-857
- The developmental effects of early life stress: An overview of current theoretical frameworks.Curr Dir Psychol Sci. 2013; 22: 400-406
- Race, race-based discrimination, and health outcomes among African Americans.Annu Rev Psychol. 2007; 58: 201
- Measuring the biological embedding of racial trauma among Black Americans utilizing the RDoC approach.Dev Psychopathol. 2021; 33: 1849-1863
- Allostatic load and women’s brain health: A systematic review.Front Neuroendocrinol. 2020; 59100858
- Racial and ethnic patterns of allostatic load among adult women in the United States: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999–2004.J Womens Health. 2011; 20: 575-583
- Weathering” and age patterns of allostatic load scores among blacks and whites in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 826-833
- Allostatic load in early pregnancy is associated with poor sleep quality.Sleep Med. 2017; 33: 85-90
Bey GS, Jesdale BM, Ulbricht CM, Mick EO, Person SD. Allostatic load biomarker associations with depressive symptoms vary among US black and white women and men. In MDPI; 2018. p. 105.
- Stress and the mental health of populations of color: Advancing our understanding of race-related stressors.J Health Soc Behav. 2018; 59: 466-485
- Stress, health, and the life course: Some conceptual perspectives.J Health Soc Behav. 2005; 46: 205-219
- Racial disparities in health: how much does stress really matter?.Bois Rev Soc Sci Res Race. 2011; 8: 95-113
- Perceived stress and mental health: The mediating roles of social support and resilience among black women exposed to sexual violence.J Affect Disord. 2019; 259: 143-149
- Do Daily Stress Processes Account for Socioeconomic Health Disparities?.J Gerontol Ser B. 2005 Oct; 60: S34-S39
- Beyond allostatic load: Rethinking the role of stress in regulating human development.Dev Psychopathol. 2014; 26: 1-20
- The development of the child unpredictability schema: Regulation through maternal life history trade-offs.Evol Behav Sci. 2016; 10: 43
Collins PH. The social construction of black feminist thought. In: Feminism and philosophy. Routledge; 2018. p. 526–548.
- Association of racial discrimination with neural response to threat in Black women in the US exposed to trauma.JAMA Psychiatry. 2021; 78: 1005-1012
- Childhood adversity predicts black young adults’ DNA methylation-based accelerated aging: A dual pathway model.Dev Psychopathol. 2022; 34: 689-703
- Do US Black Women Experience Stress-Related Accelerated Biological Aging?.Hum Nat. 2010 Mar 1; 21: 19-38
- Social inequalities, stressors and self reported health status among African American and white women in the Detroit metropolitan area.Soc Sci Med. 2000; 51: 1639-1653
- It is Tough Being a Black Woman: Intergenerational Stress and Coping.J Black Stud. 2018 Jul 1; 49: 481-501
Hill Collins P. Black Feminist Thought. Routledge; 2002.
- The effect of early discrimination on accelerated aging among African Americans.Health Psychol. 2019 Nov; 38
- The impact of stress on the life history strategies of African American adolescents: Cognitions, genetic moderation, and the role of discrimination.Dev Psychol. 2012; 48
- Beyond Risk and Protective Factors: An Adaptation-Based Approach to Resilience.Perspect Psychol Sci. 2017; 12: 561-587
- Self-control forecasts better psychosocial outcomes but faster epigenetic aging in low-SES youth.Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2015 Aug 18; 112: 10325-10330
- The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master’s House”: Ten critical lessons for Black and other health equity researchers of color.Health Educ Behav. 2021 Jun; 48: 237-249
- Applying intersectionality to explore the relations between gendered racism and health among Black women.J Couns Psychol. 2017; 64: 475-486
- Theories for social epidemiology in the 21st century: an ecosocial perspective.Int J Epidemiol. 2001 Aug 1; 30: 668-677
- Racial and gender discrimination: Risk factors for high blood pressure?.Soc Sci Med. 1990 Jan 1; 30: 1273-1281
- When (passive) acceptance hurts: Race-based coping moderates the association between racial discrimination and mental health outcomes among Black Americans.Psychol Trauma Theory Res Pract Policy. 2021 Jul 26;
- Stress and the brain: from adaptation to disease.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2005; 6: 463-475
- What counts as good science? How the battle for methodological legitimacy affects public psychology.Am Psychol. 2021; 76: 1323-1333
- What If Psychology Took Intersectionality Seriously? Changing How Psychologists Think About Participants.Psychol Women Q. 2019 Dec 1; 43: 445-456
- When Black + Lesbian + Woman ≠ Black Lesbian Woman: The Methodological challenges of qualitative and quantitative intersectionality research.Sex Roles. 2008 Sep 1; 59: 312-325
- An argument for bad psychology: Disciplinary disruption, public engagement, and social transformation.Am Psychol. 2021; 76: 1334-1345
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding and Disclosures: This research was supported by the National Cancer Institute (R01CA220254-02S1) and the National Institute of Mental Health (R25MH087217 &
K00MH119603). The authors report no biomedical financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.