Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging
The Trevor Project. 2021 National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health. West Hollywood, CA; 2021.
- Sexual identity, sex of sexual contacts, and health-related behaviors among students in grades 9–12—United States and selected sites, 2015. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.Surveillance Summaries. 2016; 65: 1-202
- Sexual Orientation and Depressive Symptoms in Adolescents.Pediatrics. 2018; 141
- A systematic review of family victimization experiences among sexual minority youth.The journal of primary prevention. 2018; 39: 491-528
- Sexual minority-related victimization as a mediator of mental health disparities in sexual minority youth: A longitudinal analysis.Journal of youth and adolescence. 2013; 42: 394-402
- Suicidal behavior and coming out milestones in three cohorts of sexual minority adults.LGBT health. 2021; 8: 340-348
Health NIoM. National Institute of Mental Health strategic plan for research. NIH Publication Number: 20-MH-8096. 2020.
VandenBos GR. APA dictionary of psychology: American Psychological Association; 2007.
Meyer IH, Frost DM. Minority stress and the health of sexual minorities. 2013.
- Minority stress and mental health in gay men.Journal of health and social behavior. 1995; : 38-56
- Development of the gender minority stress and resilience measure.Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity. 2015; 2: 65
- Discrimination, internalized racism, and depression: A comparative study of African American and Afro-Caribbean adults in the US.Group Processes & Intergroup Relations. 2016; 19: 439-461
Brondolo E, Ng W, Pierre K-LJ, Lane R. Racism and mental health: Examining the link between racism and depression from a social cognitive perspective. 2016.
- Sex discrimination and mental health in women: A prospective analysis.Health Psychology. 2019; 38: 1014
- Frequencies and patterns of adverse childhood events in LGBTQ+ youth.Child abuse & neglect. 2020; 107104623
- Trajectories of depressive symptoms and suicidality among heterosexual and sexual minority youth.Journal of youth and adolescence. 2013; 42: 1243-1256
- Criterion and Divergent Validity of the Sexual Minority Adolescent Stress Inventory.Front Psychol. 2017; 8: 2057
- Imbalanced neural responsivity to risk and reward indicates stress vulnerability in humans.Cereb Cortex. 2013; 23: 28-35
- Stress-related anhedonia is associated with ventral striatum reactivity to reward and transdiagnostic psychiatric symptomatology.Psychol Med. 2015; 45: 2605-2617
- Effects of early life stress on amygdala and striatal development.Dev Cogn Neurosci. 2016; 19: 233-247
- Heightened connectivity between the ventral striatum and medial prefrontal cortex as a biomarker for stress-related psychopathology: understanding interactive effects of early and more recent stress.Psychol Med. 2018; 48: 1835-1843
- Anhedonia reduction mediates relationship between left ventral striatal reward response and 6-month improvement in life satisfaction in young adults.JAMA Psychiatry. 2019; 76: 958-965
- The amygdala and reward.Nature reviews neuroscience. 2002; 3: 563
- The reward circuit: linking primate anatomy and human imaging.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010; 35: 4-26
- Value, pleasure and choice in the ventral prefrontal cortex.Trends Cogn Sci. 2011; 15: 56-67
- Frontal cortex and reward-guided learning and decision-making.Neuron. 2011; 70: 1054-1069
- Distinct portions of anterior cingulate cortex and medial prefrontal cortex are activated by reward processing in separable phases of decision-making cognition.Biol Psychiatry. 2004; 55: 594-602
- A meta-analytical review of brain activity associated with intertemporal decisions: Evidence for an anterior-posterior tangibility axis.Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews. 2018; 86: 85-98
- Neural congruence between intertemporal and interpersonal self-control: Evidence from delay and social discounting.NeuroImage. 2017; 162: 186-198
- Differential response patterns in the striatum and orbitofrontal cortex to financial reward in humans: a parametric functional magnetic resonance imaging study.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 303-307
- Reduced frontostriatal response to expected value and reward prediction error in remitted monozygotic twins with mood disorders and their unaffected high-risk co-twins.Psychol Med. 2020; : 1-10
- Impaired reward prediction error encoding and striatal-midbrain connectivity in depression.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2018; 43: 1581-1588
- Prediction Error Representation in Individuals With Generalized Anxiety Disorder During Passive Avoidance.Am J Psychiatry. 2017; 174: 110-117
- Meta-analysis of reward processing in major depressive disorder reveals distinct abnormalities within the reward circuit.Translational psychiatry. 2019; 9: 1-10
- The neural correlates of reward-related processing in major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis of functional magnetic resonance imaging studies.J Affect Disord. 2013; 151: 531-539
- Neural response to reward as a predictor of increases in depressive symptoms in adolescence.Neurobiol Dis. 2013; 52: 66-74
- Vulnerability to depression in youth: Advances from affective neuroscience.Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging. 2017; 2: 28-37
- Great expectations: A critical review of and suggestions for the study of reward processing as a cause and predictor of depression.Biological psychiatry. 2021; 89: 134-143
- Adolescent depression: stress and reward dysfunction.Harvard review of psychiatry. 2014; 22: 139
- Trauma Affects Prospective Relationships Between Reward-Related Ventral Striatal and Amygdala Activation and 1-Year Future Hypo/Mania Trajectories.Biological Psychiatry. 2021; 89: 868-877
- Ventral striatal function interacts with positive and negative life events to predict concurrent youth depressive symptoms.Biological psychiatry: cognitive neuroscience and neuroimaging. 2018; 3: 937-946
- Neurobehavioral markers of resilience to depression amongst adolescents exposed to child abuse.Journal of abnormal psychology. 2016; 125: 1201
- A Social Affective Neuroscience Model of Risk and Resilience in Adolescent Depression: Preliminary Evidence and Application to Sexual and Gender Minority Adolescents.Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging. 2021; 6: 188-199
- A systematic review of the neural correlates of sexual minority stress: towards an intersectional minority mosaic framework with implications for a future research agenda.European journal of psychotraumatology. 2022; 132002572
- Biosocial factors, sexual orientation and neurocognitive functioning.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2004; 29: 867-881
- Male sexual orientation, gender nonconformity, and neural activity during mental rotations: an fMRI study.Scientific reports. 2020; 10: 1-14
- Association of cerebral networks in resting state with sexual preference of homosexual men: a study of regional homogeneity and functional connectivity.PloS one. 2013; 8e59426
- Brain structure changes associated with sexual orientation.Scientific reports. 2021; 11: 1-10
- Sexual differentiation of the human brain: relation to gender identity, sexual orientation and neuropsychiatric disorders.Frontiers in neuroendocrinology. 2011; 32: 214-226
- Cortical brain structure and sexual orientation in adult females with bipolar disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.Brain and behavior. 2018; 8e00998
- How does sexual minority stigma “get under the skin”? A psychological mediation framework.Psychological bulletin. 2009; 135: 707
- Social determinants of mental health: where we are and where we need to go.Current psychiatry reports. 2018; 20: 1-13
Chen P, Chantala K. Guidelines for analyzing Add Health data. Carolina Population Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. 2014.
- Demographic and social factors impacting coming out as a sexual minority among Generation-Z teenage boys.Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity. 2021;
Center PR. A survey of LGBT Americans: Attitudes, experiences and values in changing times. Pew Research Social & Demographic Trends. 2013.
- Sexual orientation identity development milestones among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and queer people: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Frontiers in psychology. 2021; 12
- Incidence and mental health impact of sexual orientation victimization of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youths in high school.School Psychology Quarterly. 2002; 17: 148
- Risk of heavy drinking among sexual minority adolescents: indirect pathways through sexual orientation‐related victimization and affiliation with substance‐using peers.Addiction. 2016; 111: 1599-1606
- Development, use, and psychometric properties of the Trauma History Questionnaire.Journal of Loss and Trauma. 2011; 16: 258-283
- The CES-D scale a self-report depression scale for research in the general population.Applied psychological measurement. 1977; 1: 385-401
- A scale for the assessment of hedonic tone the Snaith-Hamilton Pleasure Scale.Br J Psychiatry. 1995; 167: 99-103
- Waiting to win: elevated striatal and orbitofrontal cortical activity during reward anticipation in euthymic bipolar disorder adults.Bipolar Disord. 2012; 14: 249-260
- Tracking the hemodynamic responses to reward and punishment in the striatum.J Neurophysiol. 2000; 84: 3072-3077
- Development of deactivation of the default-mode network during episodic memory formation.Neuroimage. 2014; 84: 932-938
- Healthy adolescents' neural response to reward: associations with puberty, positive affect, and depressive symptoms.Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2010; 49 (e5): 162-172
- Large-scale automated synthesis of human functional neuroimaging data.Nature methods. 2011; 8: 665-670
- A new multitest correction (SGoF) that increases its statistical power when increasing the number of tests.BMC Bioinformatics. 2009; 10: 209
- White matter–emotion processing activity relationships in youth offspring of bipolar parents.Journal of affective disorders. 2019; 243: 153-164
- The whole-brain “global” signal from resting state fMRI as a potential biomarker of quantitative state changes in glucose metabolism.Brain connectivity. 2016; 6: 435-447
- Ventral striatal and medial prefrontal BOLD activation is correlated with reward-related electrocortical activity: a combined ERP and fMRI study.Neuroimage. 2011; 57: 1608-1616
- Stressful life events moderate the effect of neural reward responsiveness in childhood on depressive symptoms in adolescence.Psychological Medicine. 2020; 50: 1548-1555
- The value of dimensional models of early experience: Thinking clearly about concepts and categories.Perspectives on Psychological Science. 2021; 16: 1463-1472
- Childhood poverty and health: Cumulative risk exposure and stress dysregulation.Psychological Science. 2007; 18: 953-957
- Fundamental dimensions of environmental risk.Human Nature. 2009; 20: 204-268
- Association of racial discrimination with neural response to threat in Black women in the US exposed to trauma.JAMA psychiatry. 2021; 78: 1005-1012
- Trauma-associated anterior cingulate connectivity during reward learning predicts affective and anxiety states in young adults.Psychological medicine. 2019; 49: 1831-1840
- Blunted ventral striatum development in adolescence reflects emotional neglect and predicts depressive symptoms.Biological psychiatry. 2015; 78: 598-605
- Adolescent girls’ neural response to reward mediates the relation between childhood financial disadvantage and depression.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2015; 56: 1177-1184
Measuring Sex, Gender Identity, and Sexual Orientation. Washington DC: National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine; 2022.
- Altered brain activity in unipolar depression revisited: meta-analyses of neuroimaging studies.JAMA psychiatry. 2017; 74: 47-55
- Reward Processing in Depression: A Conceptual and Meta-Analytic Review Across fMRI and EEG Studies.Am J Psychiatry. 2018; appiajp201817101124
Abraham EH, Antl SM, McAuley T. Trauma exposure and mental health in a community sample of children and youth. Psychological trauma: Theory, research, practice, and policy. 2021.
- Childhood maltreatment predicts unfavorable course of illness and treatment outcome in depression: a meta-analysis.Am J Psychiatry. 2012; 169: 141-151
- The enduring effects of abuse and related adverse experiences in childhood. A convergence of evidence from neurobiology and epidemiology.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2006; 256: 174-186
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Disclosures: The authors declare no biomedical financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.