Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2021): Key Substance Use and Mental Health Indicators in the United States: Results from the 2020 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Rockville, MD Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Retrieved from https://www.samhsa.gov/data/.
- Neurocircuitry of Addiction.Neuropsychopharmacology Reviews. 2010; 35: 217-238
- Impulsivity, compulsivity, and top-down cognitive control.Neuron. 2011; 69: 680-694
- Neurobiology of addiction: a neurocircuitry analysis.Lancet Psychiatry. 2016; 3: 760-773
Kirby KN, Petry NM, Bickel WK (1999): Heroin addicts have higher discount rates for delayed rewards than non-drug-using controls. Journal of Experimental ….
- Heroin and cocaine abusers have higher discount rates for delayed rewards than alcoholics or non-drug-using controls.Addiction. 2004; 99: 461-471
- Addiction: decreased reward sensitivity and increased expectation sensitivity conspire to overwhelm the brain's control circuit.Bioessays. 2010; 32: 748-755
- Impaired response inhibition function in abstinent heroin dependents: an fMRI study.Neurosci Lett. 2008; 438: 322-326
- Dysfunction of the prefrontal cortex in addiction: neuroimaging findings and clinical implications.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2011; 12: 652-669
- Addiction: a disease of learning and memory.Am J Psychiatry. 2005; 162: 1414-1422
- A Role for Brain Stress Systems in Addiction.Neuron. 2008; 59: 11-34
- Addiction: beyond dopamine reward circuitry.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011; 108: 15037-15042
- Resting-state functional connectivity reflects structural connectivity in the default mode network.Cereb Cortex. 2009; 19: 72-78
- Spontaneous low-frequency BOLD signal fluctuations: An fMRI investigation of the resting-state default mode of brain function hypothesis.Hum Brain Mapp. 2005; 26: 15-29
- From The Cover: The human brain is intrinsically organized into dynamic, anticorrelated functional networks.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2005; 102: 9673-9678
- Spontaneous fluctuations in brain activity observed with functional magnetic resonance imaging.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2007; 8: 700-711
- Dissociable intrinsic connectivity networks for salience processing and executive control.J Neurosci. 2007; 27: 2349-2356
- A critical role for the right fronto-insular cortex in switching between central-executive and default-mode networks.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2008; 105: 12569-12574
- Large-scale brain networks and psychopathology: a unifying triple network model.Trends Cogn Sci (Regul Ed). 2011; 15: 483-506
- Resting state functional connectivity in addiction: Lessons learned and a road ahead.Neuroimage. 2012; 62: 2281-2295
- Neuroimaging Impaired Response Inhibition and Salience Attribution in Human Drug Addiction: A Systematic Review.Neuron. 2018; 98: 886-903
- Common Dysfunction of Large-Scale Neurocognitive Networks Across Psychiatric Disorders.Biol Psychiatry. 2019; 85: 379-388
- The brain's default network.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008; 1124: 1-38
- Saliency, switching, attention and control: a network model of insula function.Brain Struct Funct. 2010; 214: 655-667
- Interactions between the Salience and Default-Mode Networks Are Disrupted in Cocaine Addiction.J Neurosci. 2015; 35: 8081-8090
- Executive control network connectivity strength protects against relapse to cocaine use.Addict Biol. 2017; 22: 1790-1801
- Triple Network Resting State Connectivity Predicts Distress Tolerance and Is Associated with Cocaine Use.J Clin Med. 2019; 8: 2135
- Large-Scale Brain Network Coupling Predicts Acute Nicotine Abstinence Effects on Craving and Cognitive Function.JAMA Psychiatry. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.4091
- Dynamic functional connectivity: promise, issues, and interpretations.Neuroimage. 2013;
- Tracking Whole-Brain Connectivity Dynamics in the Resting State.Cerebral cortex. 2014; 24: 663-676
- The Dynamics of Functional Brain Networks: Integrated Network States during Cognitive Task Performance.Neuron. 2016; 92: 544-554
- Large-scale brain networks in cognition: emerging methods and principles.Trends Cogn Sci (Regul Ed). 2010; 14: 277-290
- Brain state expression and transitions are related to complex executive cognition in normative neurodevelopment.Neuroimage. 2018; 166: 293-306
- Temporal Dynamics of Functional Brain States Underlie Cognitive Performance.Cereb Cortex. 2021; 31: 2125-2138
- Impaired Functional Connectivity Within and Between Frontostriatal Circuits and Its Association With Compulsive Drug Use and Trait Impulsivity in Cocaine Addiction.JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2015.1
- Laboratory validation study of drug evaluation and classification program: ethanol, cocaine, and marijuana.J Anal Toxicol. 1996; 20: 468-483
Jeub LGS, Bazzi M, Jutla IS, Mucha PJ (n.d.): A generalized Louvain method for community detection implemented in MATLAB. http://netwiki.amath.unc.edu/GenLouvain, https://github.com/GenLouvain/GenLouvain (2011-2019).
- Decomposition of spontaneous brain activity into distinct fMRI co-activation patterns.Front Syst Neurosci. 2013; 7: 101
- Investigations into resting-state connectivity using independent component analysis.Philos Trans R Soc Lond, B, Biol Sci. 2005; 360: 1001-1013
Kaplan D (2022): Knee Point. https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/35094-knee-point, MATLAB Central File Exchange.
- Altered coupling of default-mode, executive-control and salience networks in Internet gaming disorder.Eur Psychiatry. 2017; 45: 114-120
- The role of default network deactivation in cognition and disease.Trends Cogn Sci (Regul Ed). 2012; 16: 584-592
- The neural bases of momentary lapses in attention.Nat Neurosci. 2006; 9: 971-978
- Default-mode and task-positive network activity in major depressive disorder: implications for adaptive and maladaptive rumination.Biol Psychiatry. 2011; 70: 327-333
- Salience and default mode network dysregulation in chronic cocaine users predict treatment outcome.Brain. 2017; 140: 1513-1524
- Brain default-mode network dysfunction in addiction.Neuroimage. 2019; 200: 313-331
- Neuropsychological consequences of alcohol and drug abuse on different components of executive functions.J Psychopharmacol (Oxford). 2010; 24: 1317-1332
- Molecular basis of long-term plasticity underlying addiction.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2001; 2: 119-128
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
All authors have given final approval of this manuscript. All authors report no biomedical financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.