- Singh S.
- Strong R.W.
- Jung L.
- Li F.H.
- Grinspoon L.
- Scheuer L.S.
- et al.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging
- Heterogeneous Indicators of Cognitive Performance and Performance Variability Across the Lifespan.Front Aging Neurosci. 2020;12(March; : 1-9
- The TestMyBrain Digital Neuropsychology Toolkit: Development and Psychometric Characteristics.J Clin Exp Neuropsychol [Internet]. 2021; 43 (Available from:): 786-795https://doi.org/10.1080/13803395.2021.2002269
Kreitler S, Weissler K, Barak F. Physical health and cognition. In: Cognition and motivation: Forging an interdisciplinary perspective. New York, NY, US: Cambridge University Press; 2013. p. 238–269.
- Individual differences in accident liability: A review and integrative approach.Hum Factors. 1998; 40: 655-671
- The role of cognitive functioning and distress in suicidal ideation in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: 1090-1094
- Cognitive dysfunction in psychiatric disorders: Characteristics, causes and the quest for improved therapy.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2012; 11: 141-168
- On the relationship between emotion and cognition.Nat Rev Neurosci. 2008; 9: 148-158
- Cognitive Dysfunction in Major Depressive Disorder: Assessment, Impact, and Management.Focus (Madison). 2016; 14: 194-206
- Cognitive impairment in euthymic major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis.Psychol Med. 2013; 43: 2017-2026
- The role of executive functioning in CBT: A pilot study with anxious older adults.Behav Res Ther. 2005; 43: 447-465
- Cognitive dysfunction in major depressive disorder: Effects on psychosocial functioning and implications for treatment.Can J Psychiatry. 2014; 59: 649-654
- Enhanced response inhibition during intensive meditation training predicts improvements in self-reported adaptive socioemotional functioning.Emotion. 2011; 11: 299
- The role of intraindividual cognitive variability in posttraumatic stress syndromes and cognitive aging: A literature search and proposed research agenda.Int Psychogeriatrics. 2020;
- Short-term variability in cognitive performance and the calibration of longitudinal change.Journals Gerontol - Ser B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2006; 61: 144-151
Dixon RA, Garrett DD, Lentz TL, MacDonald SWS, Strauss E, Hultsch DF. Neurocognitive markers of cognitive impairment: Exploring the roles of speed and inconsistency. Vol. 21, Neuropsychology. Dixon, Roger A.: Department of Psychology, University of Alberta, P-217 Biological Sciences Building, Edmonton, AB, Canada, T6G 2E9, [email protected]: American Psychological Association; 2007. p. 381–399.
Sliwinski M, Hoffman L, Hofer S. Modeling retest and aging effects in a measurement burst design. Individual pathways of change: Statistical models for analyzing learning and development. Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association; 2010. p. 37–50.
Smyth, Heron. Is providing mobile interventions “just-in-time” helpful? an experimental proof of concept study of just-in-time intervention for stress management. In: 2016 IEEE Wireless Health (WH). 2016. p. 1–7.
Germine L, Strong R, Singh S, Sliwinski MJ. Toward dynamic phenotypes and the scalable measurement of human behavior. Neuropsychopharmacology [Internet]. 2020;(June):1–8. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41386-020-0757-1
- Reliability and Validity of Ambulatory Cognitive Assessments.Assessment. 2018 Jan 1; 25: 14-30
Nicosia J, Aschenbrenner AJ, Balota D, Sliwinski M, Tahan M, Adams S, et al. Unsupervised high-frequency smartphone-based cognitive assessments are reliable, valid, and feasible in older adults at risk for Alzheimer disease. PsyArXiv [Internet]. 2022;(January 5). Available from: https://psyarxiv.com/wtsyn/
- Digital neuropsychology: Challenges and opportunities at the intersection of science and software.Clin Neuropsychol [Internet]. 2019; 33 (Available from:): 271-286https://doi.org/10.1080/13854046.2018.1535662
- Cognition in context: Understanding the everyday predictors of cognitive performance in a New Era of measurement.JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2020; 8
- Hypothesis-driven candidate genes for schizophrenia compared to genome-wide association results.Psychol Med. 2012; 42: 607-616
- Poor replication of candidate genes for major depressive disorder using genome-wide association data.Mol Psychiatry. 2011; 16: 516-532
- Systematic re-evaluation of genes from candidate gene association studies in migraine using a large genome-wide association data set.Cephalalgia. 2016; 36: 604-614
- Here is the evidence, now what is the hypothesis? The complementary roles of inductive and hypothesis-driven science in the post-genomic era.BioEssays. 2004; 26: 99-105
Prentice DA, Miller DT. When small effects are impressive. 2016;
- Shared and distinct genetic influences between cognitive domains and psychiatric disorder risk based on genome-wide data.Biol Psychiatry. 2021; 89: S45-S46
- Genomic prediction of cognitive traits in childhood and adolescence.Mol Psychiatry [Internet]. 2019; 24 (Available from:): 819-827https://doi.org/10.1038/s41380-019-0394-4
- Gene discovery and polygenic prediction from a genome-wide association study of educational attainment in 1.1 million individuals.Nat Genet. 2018; 50: 1112-1121
- Use of machine learning to predict cognitive performance based on brain metabolism in Neurofibromatosis type 1.PLoS One. 2018 Sep 1; 13
- Individualized Prediction of Reading Comprehension Ability Using Gray Matter Volume.Cereb Cortex. 2018; 28: 1656-1672
- A neuromarker of sustained attention from whole-brain functional connectivity.Nat Neurosci. 2015; 19: 165-171
Greene AS, Gao S, Scheinost D, Constable RT. Task-induced brain state manipulation improves prediction of individual traits. Nat Commun [Internet]. 2018;9(1). Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-04920-3
Sui J, Jiang R, Bustillo J, Calhoun V. Neuroimaging-based Individualized Prediction of Cognition and Behavior for Mental Disorders and Health: Methods and Promises. Biol Psychiatry [Internet]. 2020;88(11):818–828. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006322320301116
Dagum P. Digital biomarkers of cognitive function. npj Digit Med [Internet]. 2018;1(1):26–28. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/s41746-018-0018-4
- Digital Biomarkers for the Early Detection of Mild Cognitive Impairment: Artificial Intelligence Meets Virtual Reality.Front Hum Neurosci. 2020;14(July; : 1-12
Bzdok D, Meyer-Lindenberg A. Machine Learning for Precision Psychiatry: Opportunities and Challenges. Biol Psychiatry Cogn Neurosci Neuroimaging [Internet]. 2018;3(3):223–230. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpsc.2017.11.007
Mõttus R. How correlations can (not) be applied to individual people : A tutorial for researchers , students and the public. 2021;
Molenaar PCM. A Manifesto on Psychology as Idiographic Science: Bringing the Person Back Into Scientific Psychology, This Time Forever. Meas Interdiscip Res Perspect [Internet]. 2004;2(4):201–218. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1207/s15366359mea0204_1
Hamaker EL. Why researchers should think" within-person": A paradigmatic rationale. 2012;
- How to Investigate Within-Subject Associations between Physical Activity and Momentary Affective States in Everyday Life: A Position Statement Based on a Literature Overview.Front Psychol. 2013;4(April; : 1-16
- Algorithmic Decision-Making Based on Machine Learning from Big Data: Can Transparency Restore Accountability?.Philos Technol. 2018; 31: 525-541
Arnold KD, Rohn KC. Internet-Enabled Experience Sampling: Innovations in Signaling and Data Sources. In: Advancing Educational Research With Emerging Technology. IGI Global; 2020. p. 124–151.
Junghaenel DU, Stone AA. Ecological Momentary Assessment for the Psychosocial Study of Health. Wiley Encycl Heal Psychol. 2020;105–12.
- Within and between person effects of sleep quality on daily cognitive performance: Data from the Einstein Aging Study (EAS).Alzheimer’s Dement. 2020 Dec; 16
- Shrinkage priors for Bayesian penalized regression.J Math Psychol [Internet. 2019; 89 (Available from:): 31-50https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmp.2018.12.004
- brms: An R package for Bayesian multilevel models using Stan.J Stat Softw. 2017; 80
- Is the Web as good as the lab? Comparable performance from Web and lab in cognitive/perceptual experiments.Psychon Bull Rev. 2012 Oct; 19: 847-857
- A short form of the Positive and Negative Affect Schedule: Evaluation of factorial validity and invariance across demographic variables in a community sample.Pers Individ Dif. 1999; 27: 405-416
- The daily inventory of stressful events: An interview-based approach for measuring daily stressors.Assessment. 2002; 9: 41-55
- Reported exposure and emotional reactivity to daily stressors: the roles of adult age and global perceived stress.Psychol Aging. 2008; 23: 52
- Ecological momentary assessment of social functioning in schizophrenia: impact of performance appraisals and affect on social interactions.Schizophr Res. 2013; 145: 120-124
- Intraindividual change and variability in daily stress processes: findings from two measurement-burst diary studies.Psychol Aging. 2009; 24: 828
- Subjective sleepiness is a sensitive indicator of insufficient sleep and impaired waking function.J Sleep Res. 2014; 23: 242-254
Germine LT, Joormann J, Passell E, Rutter LA, Scheuer L, Martini P, et al. Neurocognition after motor vehicle collision and adverse post-traumatic neuropsychiatric sequelae within 8 weeks: Initial findings from the AURORA study. J Affect Disord [Internet]. 2022;298(PB):57–67. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2021.10.104
- In the zone or zoning out? Tracking behavioral and neural fluctuations during sustained attention.Cereb Cortex. 2013; 23: 2712-2723
- Sustained attention across the life span in a sample of 10,000: Dissociating ability and strategy.Psychol Sci. 2015; 26: 1497-1510
- Tracking multiple independent targets: Evidence for a parallel tracking mechanism.Spat Vis. 1988; 3: 179-197
- How do we measure attention? Using factor analysis to establish construct validity of neuropsychological tests.Cogn Res Princ Implic. 2021; 6: 1-26
Wechsler D. WAIS‐III administration and scoring manual. The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, TX. Wechsler, D(1997) WAIS III Adm Scoring Manual Psychol Corp San Antonio, TX. 1997;
- Construct validity, ecological validity and acceptance of self-administered online neuropsychological assessment in adults.Clin Neuropsychol [Internet]. 2021; 35 (Available from:): 148-164https://doi.org/10.1080/13854046.2020.1811893
- When Does Cognitive Functioning Peak? The Asynchronous Rise and Fall of Different Cognitive Abilities Across the Life Span.Psychol Sci. 2015 Apr 18; 26: 433-443
- On Multilevel Model Reliability Estimation From the Perspective of Structural Equation Modeling.Struct Equ Model A Multidiscip J [Internet]. 2006 Jan 1; 13 (Available from:): 130-141https://doi.org/10.1207/s15328007sem1301_7
Brose A, Lövdén M, Schmiedek F. Daily fluctuations in positive affect positively co-vary with working memory performance. Emotion [Internet]. 2014;14(1):1–6. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24364855
- Intraindividual coupling of daily stress and cognition.Psychol Aging. 2006 Sep; 21: 545-557
R Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2021.
- Welcome to the Tidyverse.J Open Source Softw. 2019; 4: 1686
- An introduction to hierarchical linear modeling.Tutor Quant Methods Psychol. 2012; 8: 52-69
- Applying hierarchical bayesian modeling to experimental psychopathology data: An introduction and tutorial.J Abnorm Psychol. 2021; 130: 923-936
- Why and How to Deal with Diurnal Cyclic Patterns in Ambulatory Assessment of Emotions: A Practical Guide and Discussion.Eur J Psychol Assess. 2020; 36: 471-481
- The fixed versus random effects debate and how it relates to centering in multilevel modeling.Psychol Methods. 2020; 25: 365-379
- Evaluation of Ridge, Elastic Net and Lasso Regression Methods in Precedence of Multicollinearity Problem: A Simulation Study.J Appl Econ Bus Stud. 2021; 5: 131-142
Huang YK, Mitchell UA, Conroy LM, Jones RM. Community daytime noise pollution and socioeconomic differences in Chicago, IL. PLoS One [Internet]. 2021;16(8 August):1–12. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0254762
- Accurate ambient noise assessment using smartphones.Sensors (Switzerland). 2017; 17: 1-18
- Real-time individualization of the unified model of performance.J Sleep Res. 2017; 26: 820-831
- A cognitive vulnerability model of sleep and mood in adolescents under naturalistically restricted and extended sleep opportunities.Sleep. 2015; 38: 453-461
- Improved mental acuity forecasting with an individualized quantitative sleep model.Front Neurol. 2017; 8: 1-10
- Self-reported sleep duration and cognitive performance in older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Sleep Med [Internet. 2016; 17 (Available from:): 87-98https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2015.08.021
- Cognition and objectively measured sleep duration in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Sleep Heal [Internet]. 2018; 4 (Available from:): 292-300https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleh.2018.02.004
O’Neil ME, Laman-Maharg B, Schnurr PP, Carlson KF, Twamley EW, Peterson C, et al. Objective cognitive impairment and subjective cognitive problems in veterans initiating psychotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder: An exploratory study. Appl Neuropsychol Adult [Internet]. 2019 May 4;26(3):247–254. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/23279095.2017.1395334
- Momentary working memory performance is coupled with different dimensions of affect for different children: A mixture model analysis of ambulatory assessment data.Dev Psychol. 2019; 55: 754-766
von Stumm S. Is day-to-day variability in cognitive function coupled with day-to-day variability in affect? Intelligence [Internet]. 2016;55:1–6. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.intell.2015.12.006
- Waking Up on the Wrong Side of the Bed: The Effects of Stress Anticipation on Working Memory in Daily Life.Journals Gerontol - Ser B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2019 Jan 1; 74: 38-46
- Stress and cognition.Wiley Interdiscip Rev Cogn Sci. 2013; 4: 245-261
- Cognitive-behaviour therapy in medical illness.Cogn Behav Ther. 2008; 139–55
- Premorbid intra-individual variability in intellectual performance and risk for schizophrenia: A population-based study.Schizophr Res. 2006; 85: 49-57
- Cognitive dispersion is a sensitive marker for early neurodegenerative changes and functional decline in nondemented older adults.Neuropsychology. 2019; 33: 599-608
- The warp and the woof of the developmental fabric. Visions aesthetics.Environ Dev Leg Joachim F Wohlwill. 1991; : 213-240
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Links to cognitive EMA tasks are available on GitHub, https://github.com/zwihawks/PredictingMomentaryCog. Refer to CogEMA_tasks.txt.
Data analyzed for the current study are available on GitHub, https://github.com/zwihawks/PredictingMomentaryCog. Refer to cleanData.rds.
Code to analyze and visualize data is available on GitHub, https://github.com/zwihawks/PredictingMomentaryCog. Refer to BayesianPrediction.Rmd and VisualizeResults.R.
LG has received compensation as a member of the scientific advisory board of Sage Bionetworks, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. LG is on the Board of Directors of the Many Brains Project, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. ZWH has received consulting fees from Blueprint Health. Other authors report no biomedical financial interests or potential conflicts of interest.