Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging
- Relations between executive functions and academic outcomes in elementary school children: A meta-analysis.Psychological Bulletin. 2021; 147: 329
- When does cognitive functioning peak? The asynchronous rise and fall of different cognitive abilities across the life span.Psychological science. 2015; 26: 433-443
Kline, P. A handbook of test construction (psychology revivals): introduction to psychometric design (Routledge, 2015).
Allen, M.J. & Yen, W.M. Introduction to measurement theory (Waveland Press,2001).
- General intelligence.objectively determined and measured. Am. J. Psychol. 1904; 15: 201-293
- Psychological Science Needs a Standard Practice of Reporting the Reliability of Cognitive-Behavioral Measurements.Advances in Methods and Practices in Psychological Science. 2019; 2: 378-395
- Recalibrating expectations about effect size: A multi-method survey of effect sizes in the ABCD study.PloS one. 2021; 16e0257535
- The role of test-retest reliability in measuring individual and group differences in executive functioning.Journal of Neuroscience Methods. 2016; 274: 81-93
- The role of psychometrics in individual differences research in cognition: A case study of the AX-CPT.Frontiers in psychology. 2017; 8: 1482
- Do current statistical learning tasks capture stable individual differences in children? An investigation of task reliability across modality.Behavior research methods. 2020; 52: 68-81
- Can we measure individual differences in cognitive measures reliably via smartphones? A comparison of the flanker effect across device types and samples.Behavior Research Methods. 2022; 1–12
- Reliability assessment of temporal discounting measures in virtual reality environments.Scientific reports. 2021; 11: 1-16
- A psychometrics of individual differences in experimental tasks. en.Psychon. Bull. Rev. 2019; 26: 452-467
Haines, N. et al. Learning from the reliability paradox: How theoretically informed generative models can advance the social, behavioral, and brain sciences. PsyArXiv (2020).
- Trial and error: A hierarchical modeling approach to test-retest reliability.NeuroImage. 2021; 245118647
- Use of internal consistency coefficients for estimating reliability of experimental task scores. en.Psychon. Bull. Rev. 2016; 23: 750-763
- The reliability paradox: Why robust cognitive tasks do not produce reliable individual differences.Behavior Research Methods. 2018; 50: 1166-1186
- Risk preference shares the psychometric structure of major psychological traits. en.Sci Adv. 2017; 3e1701381
- Large-scale analysis of test–retest reliabilities of self-regulation measures.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2019; 116: 5472-5477
Von Bastian, C.C. et al. Advancing the understanding of individual differences in attentional control: Theoretical, methodological, and analytical considerations 2020.
- On the reliability of individual economic rationality measurements. en.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2022; 119e2202070119
- A unified online test battery for cognitive impulsivity reveals relationships with real-world impulsive behaviours.Nature Human Behaviour. 2021; 5: 1562-1577
- Developing constraint in Bayesian mixed models.Psychological methods. 2017; 22: 779
Rouder, J., Kumar, A. & Haaf, J.M. Why most studies of individual differences with inhibition tasks are bound to fail (2019).
- Towards a reliable repeated-measures beads task for assessing the jumping to conclusions bias.Psychiatry research. 2018; 265: 200-207
- A solution to the reliability paradox for decision-conflict tasks.PsyArXiv. 2022;
Snijder, J.-P., Tang, R., Bugg, J., Conway, A.R. & Braver, T. On the Psychometric Evaluation of Cognitive Control Tasks: An Investigation with the Dual Mechanisms of Cognitive Control (DMCC) Battery. PsyArXiv (2022).
- Is executive control related to working memory capacity and fluid intelligence?.Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. 2019; 148: 1335
- Measuring individual differences in statistical learning: Current pitfalls and possible solutions.Behavior research methods. 2017; 49: 418-432
- The development of a short domain-general measure of working memory capacity.Behavior research methods. 2015; 47: 1343-1355
- General fluid/inductive reasoning battery for a high-ability population.Behavior Research Methods. 2019; 51: 507-522
- Retesting in selection: a meta-analysis of coaching and practice effects for tests of cognitive ability.Journal of Applied Psychology. 2007; 92: 373
- Retest effects in cognitive ability tests: A meta-analysis.Intelligence. 2018; 67: 44-66
- The Psychometric Properties of the Pavlovian Instrumental Transfer Task in an Online Adult Sample.Biological Psychiatry. 2021; 89: S132
- Age-related changes and longitudinal stability of individual differences in ABCD Neurocognition measures.Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience. 2022; 54101078
- Influence of age on practice effects in longitudinal neurocognitive change.Neuropsychology. 2010; 24: 563
- Preventing the return of fear in humans using reconsolidation update mechanisms.Nature. 2010; 463: 49-53
- The relation of item difficulty and inter-item correlation to test variance and reliability.Psychometrika. 1945; 10: 79-91
- The relation of the reliability of multiple-choice tests to the distribution of item difficulties.Psychometrika. 1952; 17: 181-194
- The relationship between the distribution of item difficulties and test reliability.Applied measurement in education. 1993; 6: 37-48
- Data collection via online platforms: Challenges and recommendations for future research.Applied Psychology. 2021; 70: 1380-1402
- Nonnaivete among Amazon Mechanical Turk workers: Consequences and solutions for behavioral researchers.Behavior research methods. 2014; 46: 112-130
- Tapped out or barely tapped? Recommendations for how to harness the vast and largely unused potential of the Mechanical Turk participant pool.PloS one. 2019; 14e0226394
- Empirical recommendations for improving the stability of the dot-probe task in clinical research.Psychological assessment. 2015; 27: 365
Klingelhoefer-Jens, M., Ehlers, M.R., Kuhn, M., Keyaniyan, V. & Lonsdorf, T.B. Robust group-but limited individual-level (longitudinal) reliability and insights into cross-phases response prediction of conditioned fear. bioRxiv (2022).
- Generating an item pool for translational social cognition research: methodology and initial validation.Behavior research methods. 2015; 47: 228-234
Embretson, S.E. & Reise, S.P. Item response theory (Psychology Press, 2013).
- The importance of linguistic information in human reinforcement learning.PsyArXiv. 2022;
- Extended testing with the dot-probe task increases test–retest reliability and validity.Cognitive processing. 2019; 20: 65-72
- A practical guide for studying human behavior in the lab.Behavior Research Methods. 2022; 1–19
- Measuring executive functions in childhood: Problems and solutions?.Child and adolescent mental health. 2002; 7: 131-142
- The effects of practice on the cognitive test performance of neurologically normal individuals assessed at brief test–retest intervals.Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society. 2003; 9: 419-428
- How gamification motivates: An experimental study of the effects of specific game design elements on psychological need satisfaction.Computers in human behavior. 2017; 69: 371-380
- Ten simple rules for the computational modeling of behavioral data.Elife. 2019; 8e49547
- The importance of falsification in computational cognitive modeling.Trends in cognitive sciences. 2017; 21: 425-433
- Parameter recovery for decision modeling using choice data.Decision. 2014; 1: 252
- Computational optimization of associative learning experiments.PLoS computational biology. 2020; 16e1007593
- Retest reliability of the parameters of the Ratcliff diffusion model. en.Psychol. Res. 2017; 81: 629-652
- Sufficient reliability of the behavioral and computational readouts of a probabilistic reversal learning task.Behavior Research Methods. 2022; 1–22
- How hierarchical models improve point estimates of model parameters at the individual level.Journal of Mathematical Psychology. 2016; 73: 37-58
- A tutorial on adaptive design optimization.Journal of mathematical psychology. 2013; 57: 53-67
- Measuring working memory capacity in children using adaptive tasks: Example validation of an adaptive complex span.Behavior Research Methods. 2018; 50: 910-921
- Rapid, precise, and reliable measurement of delay discounting using a Bayesian learning algorithm.Scientific reports. 2020; 10: 1-10
- Improving Factor Score Estimation Through the Use of Observed Background Characteristics. en.Struct. Equ. Modeling. 2016; 23: 827-844
- Using response time data to reduce testing time in cognitive tests.Psychological Assessment. 2018; 30: 328
- Joint modeling of reaction times and choice improves parameter identifiability in reinforcement learning models.Journal of Neuroscience Methods. 2019; 317: 37-44
- Improving the reliability of model-based decision-making estimates in the two-stage decision task with reaction-times and drift-diffusion modeling.PLoS computational biology. 2019; 15e1006803
- A tutorial on joint models of neural and behavioral measures of cognition.Journal of Mathematical Psychology. 2018; 84: 20-48
- The reliability of difference scores: A re-examination.The Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior. 1996; 9: 158-167
- Reaction time in differential and developmental research: A review and commentary on the problems and alternatives.Psychological Bulletin. 2019; 145: 508
- The measurement of growth.ETS Research Bulletin Series. 1956; i–22 (1956)
- How we should measure “change”: Or should we?.Psychological bulletin. 1970; 74: 68
- Ten difference score myths.Organizational research methods. 2001; 4: 265-287
- On the stability of instability: Optimising the reliability of intrasubject variability of reaction times.Personality and individual differences. 2011; 51: 148-153
- Cognitive efficiency beats top-down control as a reliable individual difference dimension relevant to self-control.Cognition. 2021; 215104818
- Reaction time variability in ADHD: a meta-analytic review of 319 studies.Clinical psychology review. 2013; 33: 795-811
- Decision processes and the slowing of simple choices in schizophrenia.Journal of abnormal psychology. 2015; 124: 961
Eckstein, M.K. et al. The Interpretation of Computational Model Parameters Depends on the Context. BioRxiv, 2021–05 (2022).
- Representative design in psychological assessment: A case study using the Balloon Analogue Risk Task (BART). en.J. Exp. Psychol. Gen. Apr. 2021;
- Toward dynamic phenotypes and the scalable measurement of human behavior.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2021; 46: 209-216
- The extent and drivers of gender imbalance in neuroscience reference lists.Nature neuroscience. 2020; 23: 918-926
Bertolero, M.A. et al. Racial and ethnic imbalance in neuroscience reference lists and intersections with gender. BioRxiv (2020).
Ambekar, A., Ward, C., Mohammed, J., Male, S. & Skiena, S. Name-ethnicity classification from open sources in Proceedings of the 15th ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (2009), 49–58.
- Predicting race and ethnicity from the sequence of characters in a name.arXiv preprint arXiv. 2018; 1805: 02109